Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
Chiropractic can help to alleviate and manage pelvic pain during pregnancy which is caused from hormonal changes, increased weight gain and an increased curvature in the Lumbar spine.
Your body produces and releases the hormone Relaxin during pregnancy enabling the ligaments of the pelvis to stretch and allowing for the growing fetus. However, this hormone also loosens all the other ligaments in the body which can increase the risk of joint misalignment and injury.
Chiropractic care during your pregnancy promotes balanced movement and alignment in the pelvis and spine allowing the ligaments that connect to the Uterus to maintain an equalised supportive suspension for the Uterus. An un-balanced pelvis can cause these ligaments too become torqued and twisted which creates tension within the pelvis and Lumbar spine.
Chiropractic will enable your body to gracefully adapt to the vast changes that take place during your pregnancy, allowing for a smooth pregnancy for mum and baby.
Treatment during pregnancy is very gentle and safe, focussing on highly specialised techniques and adjustments to the joints and soft tissues to alleviate any pain and discomfort. Special equipment may be be used such as blocks or pregnancy pillows to enhance the treatment process. Alongside treatment self help advice is always offered by your Chiropractor on posture, exercise and diet to help manage your condition.
Common conditions treated are:
- Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) – the pubic synthesis forms the front of the pelvic ring. Pregnancy can cause this joint to become unstable and misaligned causing severe pain which is often described as disabling.
- Low back pain – the pain can stem from the lumbar facet Joints, the Sacro-Iliac joints (posterior joints of the pelvic ring) the para spinal muscles and supporting ligaments or the inter-vertebral discs. Pain and/or parasthesisa can radiate into the legs, buttocks and groin.
- Round Ligament Pain – the round ligament can cause sharp pain into the abdomen and/or groin
- Pelvic Instability – instability in the Sacro-Iliac joints can cause the pelvis to deviate and twist causing weakness and pain in the pelvis girdle.
- Piriformis Syndrome – the piriformis muscles within the buttocks can compress the Sciatic nerve causing pain in the buttocks and Sciatica into the legs during pregnancy.
- Carpel Tunnel Syndrome – the Median nerve that travels through the wrist into the hand is compressed or swollen which causing symptoms into the hand. It is very common in pregnant women .